Unfortunately, we all know that family problems arise whether we like it or not. And when they do, we know they can get heated. When you argue with someone close to you, it can be worse than with someone you don’t even know! Instead of letting these problems build up and explode in a detrimental way, hire legal representation immediately and settle the dispute with the aid of the court. When you try to represent yourself in a courtroom you may let your emotions get the best of you.

Ron Payne Payne Law, PLLC Family Law Services Emancipation Restraining Orders Domestic Violence

Paternity & Legitimation cases focus on the relationship between a father and his biological child(ren). Whether you’re a father seeking visitation rights or partial/full custody of your child, we are ready to fight for your right to your child. Often mothers receive special preference in courts, but we know how to establish your paternity and your legal rights to your child. Then we can also help you with any additional proceedings you want to take after your paternity is established, like custody and child support.

Payne Law enjoys bringing together families through stepparent or private adoptions. The adoption process, like many family law cases, is emotional and complex. You’re vested in the child you want to adopt and run the risk of allowing your emotions to get the best of you. Choose representation that can guide you to the objective, legal proceedings regarding the adoption. Then you can plan for the emotional investment you’re making with the adopted child. Plan that adoption party and shower them with affection while we take care of the details.

When you’re in the process of adopting a little angel you’ve fallen in love with, the last thing on your mind is a tower of paperwork. Instead, you can decorate their future bedroom while we handle the clerical work involved in the adoption process.

Also, if your adoption involves any extenuating circumstances such as interstate adoptions, contested adoptions, or termination of parental rights, that make it more stressful, let us take that burden for you. We are here for you!

Like many family law court cases, the termination of parental rights is challenging. North Carolina has strict laws on the termination of these rights based on the state of the parents as well as what is best for the child. Often, termination of parental rights cases come up when a parent is accused of neglect, abuse, nonsupport or abandonment of the child. And most of the time, grandparents or stepparents are the party seeking termination with the intent to adopt the child. These are delicate, emotional situations that require compassion and expertise on our part that we’re always willing to give to our clients.

Parents are typically responsible for their children until they reach the age of majority, 18 years old. This includes determining where the child lives and goes to school and providing them food, shelter, and clothing. When a minor is emancipated, the parents or guardian has no say in their decisions or lifestyle. Emancipated minors can purchase a house, rent an apartment, enroll in any school they choose, sue someone or be sued, make health and well-being decisions they couldn’t prior, get married, vote before the legal age, and apply for a work permit. A minor can obtain emancipation through a court order, by joining the military, or through marriage.

Domestic Violence Protection Order 50B is a restraining order. If there is proof that an act of domestic violence occurred, then the court can grant a restraining order to the defendant that protects them from future attacks. You can file a protective order without charging the other party, if you wish to protect yourself and avoid antagonizing an abuser further. But we do believe that people deserve to pay the consequences for their actions. So if you choose to charge your abuser, we are ready to fight for you and protect other people who could potentially become targets of the same abuse.

In the case of no physical harm to the victim, the court can issue a Civil No-Contact Order to protect the victim from further verbal abuse that could become physical. These orders can prohibit the abuser from visiting or contacting the victim in any way (phone, written communication, or online means), showing up at the victim’s workplace or otherwise stalking the victim, etc. These orders can be temporary or permanent. Sometimes temporary no-contact orders are issued to prevent further conflict over a court holiday during a proceeding.

Many couples choose to outline prenuptial, or premarital, agreements prior to their wedding ceremony. It’s an easy way to establish property and financial rights in case your marriage ends in divorce. When you determine these rights early on, you don’t risk your emotions clouding your judgement during a stressful time like when you’re going through the divorce.

Similar to the prenuptial agreement, a postnuptial agreement is a way to establish property and financial rights in the case of divorce. However, this legal contract is signed after the couple has been married, but prior to any separation.

Looking for legal advice? We are here to help.