Whether you’re going through a separation, divorce, or custody battle, we can take the pain out of the complexities of family law. We know it’s hard to ask for financial help when you need it, especially when you need the money for your family. Instead of letting your emotions get the best of you, let Payne Law get you the support you need! We work hard so you can focus on your emotional well-being while we make sure you’re covered financially.

Alimony Payne Law, PLLC Family Law Legal Services Spousal Support Separation

Postseparation support, or spousal support, is financial assistance to be paid until a specified date or until there is an order defining alimony. The spouse requesting the spousal support must be the dependent spouse, and the other the supporting spouse. The dependent spouse must also prove that they don’t have the resources to meet their needs.

When the dependent spouse is found to lack the resources to meet their needs, the higher-income spouse is required to send money to the lower-income spouse to cover living expenses. This court-ordered payment is separate from child support. You can request temporary alimony, permanent alimony, or lump sum alimony during your divorce proceedings.

Child support in North Carolina is based on a formula involving the custody category and the gross income of both parents. Child support payments are court-ordered until the child turns 18 years old, but the parent paying support can elect to continue the payments past that age to help with college or other living costs. Both parents have a right to request changes after the child support has been ordered.

Looking for legal advice? We are here to help.